Collingwood is a historic township in western Golden Bay. It was known as Gibbstown for some years before being renamed after Cuthbert Collingwood, Horatio Nelson’s second-in-command at the 1805 Battle of Trafalgar. The names of Collingwood, Picton, Blenheim, Wellington, Havelock, Nelson and Marlborough all commemorate British military leaders or events. Due to its central geographic location, in the early 1860s Collingwood was among a list of port settlements considered as a location for New Zealand’s capital.
Using this item
The Lewis House
Photograph by Sara Chapman
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.