Story: Ngā rōpū – Māori organisations

Tākitimu council (1st of 2)

Tākitimu council

Members who attended the first meeting of the Tākitimu Maori Council in 1902 pose in front of the second Te Poho o Rāwiri meeting house in Gisborne. They are: (seated) Mr Brooking, Ōtene Pītau; (front row standing) Takina of Kaiti, Charles Ferris of Gisborne, Hetekia Te Kani Pere of Gisborne, Paratene Tatae of Manutuke, Hemi Tutapu; (far right) Matenga Taihuka Te Kooti; (back row) Hapi Hinaki of Whangarā, Paora Kohu of Muriwai, Pewhairangi of Tokomaru Bay, Rangi of Tolaga Bay, Arani Kunaiti of Te Rēinga.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/2-044563-F

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Basil Keane, 'Ngā rōpū – Māori organisations - New Māori organisations, early 20th century', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/29682/takitimu-council (accessed 20 July 2019)

Story by Basil Keane, published 5 May 2011, updated 1 Jun 2017