The New Zealand Dental Association was formed in 1905 to encourage 'the diffusion of knowledge in Dental Science' and 'the promotion of the honour and interests of the Dental Profession'. Members were 'ethical dentists' who favoured formal training and regulation of dentistry. An executive council was formed at the first meeting of the association in June 1905, with representatives from branches in different parts of the country. Members of the executive council in 1906 used top hats to indicate their professional status. However, at least one of them, O. V. Davies (front row, right) had to borrow the hat he holds. Office holders seated in the middle row are, from left, T. J. Collins (secretary), T. A. Hunter (president) and F. Armstrong (treasurer). All three were from Dunedin, where a dental school was established at Otago University in 1907.
Courtesy of the New Zealand Dental Association
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Reference: Tom Brooking, A history of dentistry in New Zealand. Dunedin: New Zealand Dental Association, 1980, facing p. 49
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.