School milk was introduced in primary schools in 1937 in an effort to improve the health of children generally, but specifically their teeth and bones. These Auckland schoolchildren drink their daily half-pint seated on a low bench in the playground, around 1939. The school milk service was discontinued in 1967.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.