Deaconesses (women leaders) of the Presbyterian Church carried out much of its mission work among Māori. In this 1917 photo missionary teacher Abigail Monfries (standing at left in hat) is seen with pupils and parents of their school at Ruatāhuna in the Urewera. The first school building was an old three-bedroomed house donated by the chief Taiwera.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.