Story: Hauraki–Coromandel places

Thames during the gold rush

Thames during the gold rush

Thames sprang into existence with the discovery of gold in the Kauaeranga valley in 1867. The top photograph is of the tents of diggers at Shortland, the town laid out by the government at the diggings, in January 1868. The bottom photograph, showing approximately the same area in 1871 (but from the opposite direction) shows how many buildings (including government buildings, hotels, churches and gold-crushing batteries) had been erected in just three years. However, there are still some tents, as can be seen in the left foreground.

Using this item

Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: 4-856 (top); 4-8717 (bottom)

Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Paul Monin, 'Hauraki–Coromandel places - Thames', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, (accessed 21 January 2022)

Story by Paul Monin