Red Mercury Island is the second largest of seven Mercury Islands named by James Cook in 1769; its Māori name is Whakau. Great Mercury Island is in private ownership but the others are now part of the Hauraki Gulf Maritime Park. The islands are ringed with boulders and cliffs and have few landing places. Red Mercury is the outermost of the group and was named because of its reddish colouring, evident in this view.
Using this item
Reference: 9360/7 H
Permission of GNS Science must be obtained before any use of this image.