Children pose at Auckland's Leslie Presbyterian Orphanage, about 1913. It was named after James Leslie, an Auckland baker who left a bequest to found it.
Concern for the welfare of the poor and needy had led Dunedin Presbyterians to start the Presbyterian Social Services Association in 1906. As well as orphanages the PSSA opened homes for the aged and worked to rehabilitate juvenile offenders. It also initiated programmes for families and people with disabilities. The association later changed its name to Presbyterian Support New Zealand.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.