The long-awaited coastal rail link between Marlborough and Canterbury was completed in 1945, the year after this photograph was taken of a construction camp at Ōaro, 20 kilometres south of Kaikōura. The single men’s huts in the foreground were some distance from the married men’s quarters at top left. The railway was officially opened on 15 December 1945.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries – Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.