New Zealand's first Parliament building was erected in Auckland in 1854 and is pictured here in 1861. It was an austere wooden structure which was quickly nicknamed 'The Shedifice'. When the capital was moved to Wellington in 1865 the building was used by Auckland's provincial government and later by the Auckland University. It was demolished in 1919.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.