Story: East Coast region

Farming: freezing works (3rd of 3)

Farming: freezing works

The Taruheru freezing works, the first in the region, was opened by Nelson Brothers of Hawke’s Bay in 1889. At first only 200–300 sheep could be handled each day, but after expansion in 1900 it could process 1,000 sheep per day. It closed in 1923, leaving the works at Kaiti as the only one in Gisborne.

Using this item

Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti, William F. Crawford Collection

Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, P O Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Monty Soutar, 'East Coast region - Pākehā settlement, 1870 to 1940', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/33389/farming-freezing-works (accessed 10 August 2020)

Story by Monty Soutar, updated 1 Mar 2015