By 1900 coaches could use both coastal and inland roads to reach Wairoa, and the coast road north as far as Tolaga Bay. Here, two horse-drawn vehicles are shown at Waihau Bay, making their way along the coast road to Tolaga Bay in 1916.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, PO Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.