Gisborne had a long wait for a rail connection – and the aeroplane came first. A scheduled air service to Napier started in 1935. This DH84 aircraft, owned and operated by East Coast Airways, was photographed over the city the following year. The rail link was opened in 1942.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, PO Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.