The rail link from Gisborne to Napier was completed in 1942. This photo records the departure of the first train on 7 September, in front of a crowd of 10,000 – nearly 60% of Gisborne’s population at the time.
Using this item
Tairawhiti Museum, Te Whare Taonga O Te Tairawhiti
Permission of Tairawhiti Museum, PO Box 716, Gisborne, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.