In 1856 the government replaced William Hobson’s house in Auckland with what later became known as Old Government House. Before being acquired by the neighbouring university in 1969, this timber building housed the vice-regal family and visitors whenever they were in residence in Auckland. In 1953 Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh (standing on the steps at left) were special Christmas guests at the house.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.