These are the buildings of the naval communications station HMNZS Irirangi, located south of Waiōuru in the central North Island. The small complex of buildings and aerials included a section known as NR 1 (navy receiver 1). This was the navy's signals intelligence station, which operated from 1949 to 1982. The station was at first operated by naval personnel, but from 1952 it was staffed by civilians. They listened in to the signals communications of targeted countries. The information gathered was shared with the UKUSA allies: the USA, UK, Australia and Canada. The HMNZS Irirangi complex also included the larger NR 2, the navy's main radio receiving station.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.