The top image shows the main block of Canterbury College (now the University of Canterbury). When classes first started at Canterbury College they were held in temporary accommodation. The main block, on Worcester Street in Christchurch, was designed by architect B. W. Mountfort and was completed in 1877. It was the first of a number of gothic-style buildings on the site. The university completed its move to a new campus at Ilam in 1975 and the Arts Centre of Christchurch Trust was formed to take over the buildings in 1978. Now collectively known as the Arts Centre, they were badly damaged in the 2011 Christchurch earthquake, but were expected to be repaired over several years.
The bottom photograph shows the School of Engineering at the University of Canterbury's Ilam campus, which was opened in October 1960 and first used at the beginning of 1961. It was designed by the official government architect, F. Gordon Wilson. This photograph is from around 1970.
Using this item
Macmillan Brown Library, University of Canterbury
Reference: 4770 (top); 4791 (bottom)
Permission of the Macmillan Brown Library, University of Canterbury, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.