Story: Tertiary education

University buildings: Refectory Building, Massey University (6th of 7)

University buildings: Refectory Building, Massey University

Massey University was founded as Massey Agricultural College when the agricultural schools of Auckland University College and Victoria University College were amalgamated at Palmerston North in 1927. Massey’s Refectory Building was designed by architect Roy A. Lippincott and was completed in 1930. It provided accommodation, dining and social space for students and university staff. The building was being refurbished to meet earthquake-strengthening codes in the 2000s.

Using this item

Massey University, Massey University Archives
Reference: Acc. 2005-04-01

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Kerryn Pollock, 'Tertiary education - Universities before 1990', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/34410/university-buildings-refectory-building-massey-university (accessed 11 December 2019)

Story by Kerryn Pollock, published 20 Jun 2012