These women were photographed outside Te Tokanganui-a-Noho wharenui (meeting house) in 1884. The wharenui was built in 1873 under the direction of the leader and prophet Te Kooti, who lived in Te Rohe Pōtae from 1872 until just before his death in 1893. The wharenui, which is still standing in the centre of Te Kūiti, is a reminder of Te Kooti's sojourn in the region.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.