These are the pupils and staff of Kaiapoi native school, in Canterbury, in 1902. From 1894 schooling became compulsory for Māori, and Māori mainly attended native schools. The primary focus of these schools was teaching English and manual instruction.
Using this item
Christchurch City Libraries
Reference: PhotoCD 9, IMG 0005
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.