This is a King's Colour awarded to the New Zealand (Maori) Pioneer Battalion by King George V in 1919. As the battalion had already been disbanded by the time it was awarded, it was not consecrated, presented or paraded by the battalion. In 1939 it was presented to the minister of native affairs and from there it was sent to the Dominion Museum. In 1988 the last commander of the 28th (Maori) Battalion, James Hēnare, searched for it. Once recovered, it was embroidered with the number and title of the Pioneer Battalion. In 1993 it was consecrated and paraded in front of members of the 28th (Maori) Battalion Association.
Using this item
National Army Museum, New Zealand
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.