Story: Colonial and provincial government

Provincial council building, Auckland

Provincial council building, Auckland

This Auckland building initially housed the general assembly (Parliament) which was established under the Constitution Act 1852. When the capital moved to Wellington at the end of 1864 the building was taken over by Auckland’s provincial council.

Using this item

Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: 7-A5442

Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Malcolm McKinnon, 'Colonial and provincial government - The crown colony, 1840 to 1852', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/35474/provincial-council-building-auckland (accessed 20 November 2019)

Story by Malcolm McKinnon, published 20 Jun 2012