In this photograph Dr W. J. Porteous, a New Zealand medical missionary, speaks to patients outside the Jagadhri Hospital in Punjab, India, in 1915. Dr W. S. Robertson, Nurse Isabel Milne and the Reverend W. Morton Ryburn stand to the rear of the listening group, beside the turbaned man with the pony. The hospital was set up as part of the mission work of the Presbyterian Church of New Zealand. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries a number of New Zealand denominations sent missionaries to India and China. The churches raised funds for these missions, while the missionaries provided New Zealanders with information about India and China.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.