Pukerangiora pā is a remarkable site of the New Zealand wars. Overlooking the Waitara River, about 8 kilometres inland from Waitara, it had been the scene of a three-month siege by Waikato tribes against Te Āti Awa in 1831. In early 1861 Te Āti Awa and their families retreated once more to the area and positioned themselves at a lower pā, Te Ārei. Major General Thomas Pratt approached the pā by building a long sap (trench), along which he intended to transport artillery to bombard the pā. However, before the sap was completed, a truce was negotiated to end the war.
Using this item
Te Ara - The Encyclopedia of New Zealand
Photograph by Jock Phillips
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.