On 14 May 1864 a group of upriver Pai Mārire supporters were defeated in a battle on Moutoa Island in the Whanganui River by Māori defending Whanganui township. The Pākehā community was so relieved that they erected a memorial to the loyal Māori at Moutoa Gardens in Whanganui town. Local women also sewed a flag to present to the Māori defenders. The flag featured the Union Jack, a crown and a white and a brown hand clasped in friendship. This photograph with local iwi was probably taken in 1897.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.