The construction of Tūrangawaewae, the central Kīngitanga marae, at Ngāruawahia continued throughout the economic depression of the 1930s. In 1938 large crowds gathered for the opening of a large new meeting house, Tūrongo. This photo shows Te Puea at the opening with two Kīngitanga supporters, while politician Sir Āpirana Ngata stands at left. Te Puea's friendships with powerful political figures such as Ngata greatly enhanced the national reputation of the Kīngitanga.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.