Bowlers contemplate their early season form at Grafton Road Bowling Club in Auckland, in October 1898. Grafton Road was the first green opened in New Zealand, in 1862. By the 1890s the game had become relatively popular, especially among older urban males, as seen here. Although quite formally dressed, with some in white trousers, the bowlers had not yet adopted the full 'whites' seen in modern games.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries - Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.