V-huts were distinctive to the Canterbury settlement and were put up as temporary accommodation for new settlers. The buildings consisted of a thatched roof with door and windows at one end. They appear not to have had chimneys, suggesting cooking was done outside. These were built at Riccarton and photographed in 1864.
Using this item
Photograph by Alfred Charles Barker
Permission of Canterbury Museum, Rolleston Avenue, Christchurch, New Zealand must be obtained before any re-use of this image.