With a young caddy holding his clubs, black-bearded Michael Fogarty tees off from the first hole of the newly formed Dunedin Golf Club in 1871. He was the publican of the Mornington Hotel (at rear), which also served as the members' changing room, clubhouse and bar. The golf club began playing at Caversham but officially transferred to Mornington early in 1872. It folded not long after Fogarty sold his hotel in 1876.
Using this item
Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.