In 1881 the government granted Rewi Maniapoto a one-acre section at Kihikihi, where a large house was built for him. From his verandah Rewi supervised the building of a monument to himself, donated by Sir George Grey. The unveiling of the monument, pictured here, was held on 24 April 1894. Two months later Rewi died and was buried at its base.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.