This 1910 photograph shows Kāwhia pā and harbour. By this time many Māori were living in European-style dwellings, but some communities, such as this one, continued to live in traditional whare. Several waka (canoes) are anchored in the harbour and would have been used for fishing. Whata (drying racks for fish) are visible beside the beach.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.