These images appeared in the Auckland Weekly News on 23 February 1900 to record the opening of the first lager-brewing plant in New Zealand. The plant was at the Captain Cook Brewery, which had begun business in Newmarket, Auckland, in 1862. Moss Davis, the proprietor of the brewery in 1900, brought out Swiss brewer Conrad Breutsch to brew lager-style beer, which became very popular under the name 'Bismarck'. Such German-style lagers soon became the dominant form of beer, replacing the English-style ales previously brewed in New Zealand.
Using this item
Auckland City Libraries – Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero, Sir George Grey Special Collections
Reference: AWNS-19000223-12-6 (top); AWNS-19000223-11-1 (middle); AWNS-19000223-12-2 (bottom)
Permission of Auckland City Libraries Tāmaki Pātaka Kōrero must be obtained before any re-use of this image.