Between 1928 and 1930 a house designed by Arts and Crafts architect James Chapman-Taylor was built on the hills above Waiiti beach in Taranaki for politician Charles Wilkinson and his family. The site and size of the house led to it being dubbed 'Wilkinson's Castle'. The washhouse was situated within the house and lined with tiles. The house was grand but the washhouse was pretty standard, tiles aside, containing the usual boiler and double tub.
Using this item
Permission of the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.