The Matawhaorua canoe brought Kupe back to Hawaiki from the Hokianga Harbour. The canoe was re-adzed and renamed Ngātokimatawhaorua before Nukutawhiti captained it on another voyage to New Zealand. For the celebrations marking the centenary of the Treaty of Waitangi in 1940, a new Ngātokimatawhaorua was built. Here we see it being launched.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.