John Scott’s 1959 design for the Chapel of Futuna combines many of the structural elements of the Māori meeting house – including a central pole, rib-like rafters and low eaves – with the traditional features of a church. Considered a masterpiece of international significance, the chapel was under threat when it was sold with the surrounding land and buildings to a developer in 2000. Now, however, there are moves to protect it in the Wellington City Council’s district plan.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.