Story: Historic places

The Gables, New Plymouth

The Gables, New Plymouth

The Gables in New Plymouth's Brooklands Park was one of four colonial hospitals Governor George Grey commissioned in the late 1840s for poor Māori and Pākehā patients. By 1900 all but the New Plymouth one had been demolished, but it had fallen into disuse and its future was uncertain. In 1903 the local preservation society campaigned to retain the building on historical grounds, perhaps the first public campaign to save a Pākehā building  It was bought by Mary King and moved from Te Hēnui to Brooklands, where she transformed it into a family home. In 1934 the family gifted the building to the city and in 1985 it became an arts centre.

Using this item

Fairfax NZ, Taranaki Daily News
Reference: 2 March 2012
Photograph by Andy Jackson

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder by contacting [email protected]

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Historic places - Historical awakenings, 1900s to 1920s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/42123/the-gables-new-plymouth (accessed 2 December 2021)

Story by Ben Schrader, published 22 Oct 2014, updated 19 Aug 2016