Department of Conservation staff work to restore the Lord Brassey stamper battery on the site of the Kirwans Gold Mine near Reefton, on the West Coast, in 2010. The mine operated deep in the bush from 1898 until 1906. The ore was transported 1.5 kilometres by aerial ropeways from the mine to the battery, where the gold was extracted. In 2009 the battery was in danger of collapse and a restoration project was mounted to save the structure. The site is on the Kirwans track, a two-day tramp from Capleston. It is one of a number of industrial archaeology sites managed by the Department of Conservation around New Zealand.
Using this item
Department of Conservation
Photograph by Jim Staton
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.