Story: Physics, chemistry and mathematics

Cawthron Institute biochemistry lab, around 1950

Cawthron Institute biochemistry lab, around 1950

Workers are shown in the biochemistry laboratory at the Cawthron Institute, Nelson, around 1949. At left is Joyce Watson, who worked on the chemical analysis of tobacco. The laboratory analysed a range of agricultural and horticultural products. The institute employed a number of chemists, including Thomas Easterfield, the Cawthron's first director.

Using this item

Cawthron Institute

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Rebecca Priestley, 'Physics, chemistry and mathematics - New Zealand research institutions, 1870s to 2000s', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/43360/cawthron-institute-biochemistry-lab-around-1950 (accessed 27 January 2022)

Story by Rebecca Priestley, published 22 Oct 2014