Te Arawa elder Te Ariki Morehu views a carved pare (door lintel) returned to Te Arawa on 14 December 2012 at Rotorua Museum Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa. In 1887 the pare was sent by the New Zealand government to Britain as a gift for Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. After being in the collections of several British museums it was then sold in 2009.
In 2011 the pare was identified in an auction catalogue and the New Zealand government began the process of reacquiring it. The pare was repatriated to Te Arawa in 2014 and is cared for by Rotorua Museum under the trusteeship of Te Pūkenga Koeke o Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa.
Using this item
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.