The waka taua (war canoe) Te Toki-a-Tāpiri, which is held at Auckland Museum, was built around 1836 for Te Waaka Tarakau of Ngāti Kahungunu. It was given to Te Waaka Perohuka of Rongowhakaata, who, with master carver Raharuhi Rukupō, carved the tauihu (prow) and taurapa (stern post). Rongowhakaata presented the waka to Tāmati Wāka Nene and Patuone of Ngāpuhi in 1853, as a symbol of peacemaking. The waka was sold to Ngāti Te Ata at Waiuku and then confiscated by the government in 1863. The government gave Paora Tūhaere of Ngāti Whātua guardianship over Te Toki-a-Tāpiri. In the 1870s and 1880s he negotiated for the canoe to be placed in Auckland Museum to ensure its protection.
Using this item
Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira
Photograph by Josiah Martin
Permission of the Auckland War Memorial Museum Tamaki Paenga Hira must be obtained before any re-use of this image.