Story: Life sciences

Marine Studies Centre aquarium, Portobello, 2010

Marine Studies Centre aquarium, Portobello, 2010

Smolt (young salmon) are being caught for release into Otago Harbour, at the New Zealand Marine Studies Centre aquarium, Portobello, in 2010. A fish hatchery was first established at Portobello in 1903 to introduce European food fishes into New Zealand seas. In 1951 the hatchery was taken over by Otago University and transformed into a modern marine laboratory. While the Portobello laboratory is now focused on marine biology research, it still has some involvement in salmon breeding.

Using this item

Otago Daily Times
Photograph by Gerard O'Brien

Permission of the Otago Daily Times must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Peter Clayworth, 'Life sciences - Biological research institutions, 20th century', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/44097/marine-studies-centre-aquarium-portobello-2010 (accessed 30 November 2021)

Story by Peter Clayworth, published 22 Oct 2014