Tangonge (also known as the Kaitāia Lintel) is a great taonga (treasure) for the tribes of Northland. One of the oldest Māori carvings in existence, it is believed to date from between the 14th and 16th centuries. It was discovered in 1920 when Lake Tangonge, between Kaitāia and Ahipara, was drained. Usually displayed in the Auckland Museum, in 2012 Tangonge travelled back to Tai Tokerau. After a reception at Pukepoto marae it was displayed at Te Ahu Heritage Centre for several years.
Using this item
Te Ahu Heritage
Photograph by Don Hammond
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.