Archaeologist Jack Golson (right) examines a fish hook during a dig at Sarahs Gully in Coromandel, around 1956. Golson was appointed as the University of Auckland's first academic archaeologist in 1950. He encouraged more professionalisation in archaeology and higher standards in excavation. He was also a strong supporter of the New Zealand Archaeological Association, founded in 1954.
Using this item
The University of Auckland Libraries and Learning Services, Anthropology Photographic Archive
Photograph by Wallace Ambrose
Permission of the Library, University of Auckland, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.
Courtesy of Dr Wallace Ambrose