Students are shown hard at work carving pou (posts) at the Rotorua School of Maori Arts and Crafts in the early 1930s. The school had been established at Whakarewarewa in 1927 by Apirana Ngata. It drew on the tradition of carving among Ngāti Tarāwhai, a Rotoiti subtribe of Te Arawa. Film-making and singing were other forms of cultural creativity in Rotorua during the interwar years.
Using this item
Rotorua Museum of Art and History, Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa
Permission of Rotorua Museum of Art and History Te Whare Taonga o Te Arawa must be obtained before any re-use of this image.