Story: Public, commercial and church architecture

Ōamaru courthouse

Ōamaru courthouse

The Ōamaru courthouse, pictured in 2010, was designed by the local architects Thomas Forrester and John Lemon and opened in 1883. It was built of Ōamaru limestone in the classical revival style. Its street frontage featured a two-storey central portico with an ornate pediment and elaborate Corinthian columns. The building is regarded as the architects' best work and is among New Zealand's finest courthouses. In 2014 it was no longer used as a courthouse and the government was considering selling it.

Using this item

Don Donovan's World
Photograph by Don Donovan

This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Ben Schrader, 'Public, commercial and church architecture - Buildings of substance, 1860 to 1900', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/44762/oamaru-courthouse (accessed 19 April 2019)

Story by Ben Schrader, published 22 Oct 2014