Lying on the northern side of the Hokianga Harbour – one of New Zealand’s largest estuaries – Kohukohu was the heart of New Zealand’s kauri timber trade. From 1830 to 1890 it was a major milling town and logs were shipped from its port to Auckland and Australia. This image taken in 1894 shows hillsides recently cleared of forest and a schooner in port.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.