The thin white band in the centre of the photograph is ash deposited by the Kaharoa eruption of about 1314, exposed in peat at Waihī Beach, Bay of Plenty. The ash came from Mt Tarawera, and is widely distributed across the eastern and northern North Island. This layer is an important marker for archaeological studies because it approximately corresponds to the beginning of the human occupation of New Zealand.
Using this item
University of Waikato
Photograph by David J. Lowe
This item has been provided for private study purposes (such as school projects, family and local history research) and any published reproduction (print or electronic) may infringe copyright law. It is the responsibility of the user of any material to obtain clearance from the copyright holder.