From 1865 the Native Land Court (later the Māori Land Court) facilitated the sale of Māori land to government and private buyers. By 1908 less than 20% of the north was in Māori control. This photograph of a sitting of the Māori Land Court at Ahipara was taken in the late 19th century.
Using this item
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.