Whāngārei was originally the hub of Northland’s rail services, and extensions were built to the north before the line was connected with Auckland in 1925. The early importance of rail as a means of transporting raw materials and goods is shown in this photograph of a freight train carrying huge logs.
Using this item
Alexander Turnbull Library, Northern Advocate Collection
Reference: 1/2-066091; F
Photograph by John Tuffley Cowdell
Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.