Story: Northland region

Rangiāwhia school, about 1906

Rangiāwhia school, about 1906

Rangiāwhia Native School was established at Whatuwhiwhi, on the north-west shore of Doubtless Bay, in 1902. Often staffed by European teachers, the native schools gave Māori children an English education. At Rangiāwhia, however, it was decided to see how the school would operate with Māori staff. The experiment was a great success, with pupils achieving excellent academic results.

Using this item

Alexander Turnbull Library
Reference: 1/1-010685-G

Permission of the Alexander Turnbull Library, National Library of New Zealand, Te Puna Mātauranga o Aotearoa, must be obtained before any re-use of this image.

All images & media in this story

How to cite this page:

Claudia Orange, 'Northland region - Government', Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand, http://www.TeAra.govt.nz/en/photograph/7626/rangiawhia-school-about-1906 (accessed 11 December 2019)

Story by Claudia Orange, updated 1 May 2015